jeudi 19 février 2009
Whoaaa...I spent almost 3 weeks to think what kind of food I submit for this event hosted by my foodie blogger fellow Rurie Sofyaniek (I adore her idea to launch this event...) The stock of ingredients are the most difficulty problem of me since I live far far away from my country. And of course, I want to introduce something from my hometown. After a lot of browsing and recalling my childhood memories, I decided to submit Gembus, a savoury snack from my hometown Cilacap, Central Java. Thanks God, I could find the ingredients here and very easy to make.
As I remember, when I was in elementary school, we usually bought Gembus when there were an event such as Marriage, Calung (traditional music attraction), Wayang, or other music attraction. But yes, now we still can find some street seller who sell Gembus in Cilacap.
The main ingredient is Singkong (in Bahasa) or Cassava/Manioc Root in English. You may see this link also to enrich your knowledge of cassava. For the recipe and how to make you may see below. The source of the recipe is here.
The recipe & the directions :
source : www.cilacapmedia.com, a culinary article by Wagino
I used 2 pack of frozen manioc like this (to make around 20 round) :
then steam until done and then mash until smooth (see the pic). I add pinch of salt to taste.
You make a shape like a doughnut :
Then they are ready to fry in a hot oil until yellowish. Eat them warm with chili sauce or tomato, as you like.
vendredi 13 février 2009
Try this fabulous cookies of the world (he..I would say that because everyone at home adore this cookies). Rich of chocolate & nutty taste. For me, I change the coffee taste with caramel,its good also.Thanks to Mira who posted this recipe on her blog.
White Chocolate Coffee Cookies
Source : EASY BAKING Book by Love Food
115 gr butter, softened
115 gr soft light brown sugar --> use palm sugar
1 egg, beaten 250 gr self raising flour --> flour + 1 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
125 gr white chocolate, finely chopped -- (tanti : used semisweet chocolate)
50 gr brazilian nuts, chopped --> use cashews -- (tanti : used almond)
1 sdt instant coffee dissolve in 1 tbsp hot water --> additional -- (tanti : used 1tsp caramel essence)
50 gr chocolate chips --> additional
- Preheat the oven to 190'C. Grease several baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the coffee extract, mix well. (add the caramel essence)
- Gradually add the egg, beating well after each addition
- Sift the flour and the salt into the creamed mixture, blend well.
- Stir in nuts, white chocolate, and chocolate chips.
- Place heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the prepared baking sheets, spacing well to allow for spreading during cooking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.