My dear friend Rachmah, I bring you this potluck for MFM2 - February 2009. Violet is the theme, so I tried to find somethin violet lately if I went out for shopping. Finally I found a pack of blueberry at supermarket not far from my apartment. How lucky I was cause there were only 2 packs left there. The recipe itself already saved in my laptop since few weeks ago. First time I saw the pictures, hmmm...I drooled :D
Ok, let's go to the kitchen everybody...
Blueberry Crumble Bars (www.thecrepesofwrath.wordpress.com)
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces), cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon (tanti : only used the lemon juice)
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, be sure to drain them!)
1/3 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and/or line a 9×13 inch pan (I highly suggest lining your pan with tinfoil and then spraying it with a bit of Pam for easy removal). ----------( tanti : I used round pan)
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in the salt and lemon zest.
3. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg (I used my hands and found it to be much easier). Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
4. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries.
5. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown (mine were absolutely perfect at 45 minutes, but check them at about 40 minutes to make sure they aren’t burning!). Cool completely before cutting into squares (I chilled mine in the fridge for a bit). Makes 16 large bars.
I saw 3/4 pack thick cream already opened in my fridge so then I also made 4 small cups of blueberry smoothies. Just mix blueberry,thick cream and sugar with blender. Store in a fridge a couple hours, they are ready to serve for your dessert.
When I took the picture of this crumble bars, I just realized that I have a violet cellphone. So, just gave it a shot!